As savvy women involved in the vapor cigarette industry, we like to stay abreast of the latest news. Right now, the industry chatter surrounds the FDA’s recently released proposal – this proposal would extend the FDA’s authority over tobacco products to include vapor cigarettes; it would also introduce specific guidelines for companies in the industry.
Since the FDA published these deeming regulations on April 24, there have been many speculations as to what will occur in the near future.
The truth is that no one really knows what will happen.
So here’s an overview of the facts.
If the Proposed Rule passes without revision…
– Sales to minors would be strictly prohibited; sellers must enforce the tobacco age requirements for their respective states
– Manufacturers of vapor products would be required to register their products with the FDA and disclose specific details about ingredients contained in their e-liquid
– Vapor products containing nicotine would be categorized as tobacco products and be subject to regulation by the FDA, under the Tobacco Control Act (TCA)
– Placement and promotion of new tobacco products (including smokeless cigarettes) would only be permitted AFTER extensive review by the FDA
– Distribution of free samples of vapor cigarette products would be prohibited
– Flavor varieties would not be limited (we’ve heard talk of a menthol cigarette ban, but nothing’s been confirmed)
– Online sales would still be permitted
– Tobacco accessories (like cigarette cases) would not be subject to regulation
Vapor Couture™ stands behind responsible regulations for the smokeless cigarette industry:
Our CEO, J. Andries Verleur, told the media, “We endorse the FDA’s goal of ensuring that e-cigarette products are reliable, safe, and consistent.”
– We support the FDA’s plans to require lists of ingredients from all manufacturers; the ingredients in Vapor Couture e-liquid (contained in VC Flavor Cartridges and Disposables) can easily be downloaded from the VC website. For even more information on the e-liquid in your specific VC Flavor Cartridges and Disposables, you can have unique Batch Test results sent directly to your inbox – no other vapor cigarette company provides this level of transparency. Click here to access the results from your batch!
– We support the FDA’s plans to ban sales to minors; we already enforce minimum age requirements online and through all retailers.
What can you do?
A public comment period is open through August 8, 2014. In a request for comments, the FDA stated,
“FDA decisions are based on science and law. Agency reviewers look for logic, good science, and other evidence in the comments they evaluate. Provide a clear statement of whether you support or oppose the proposed rule or guidance. Include any data, research, and analysis that support your position.”
According to Mitchell Zeller, director of the FDA’s Center for Tobacco Products,
“We are seriously considering all the comments as we consider our regulatory options. We can only go as far as the science will take us.”
Click here to submit your formal comment to the FDA.
We’ll keep you updated on any new happenings. What are your thoughts about the FDA’s Proposed Rule?